lubuntu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a better file manager for lubuntu?

2 posters

Go down

a better file manager for lubuntu? Empty a better file manager for lubuntu?

Post  daniel227 Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:36 am

hello,

i don't like pcmanfm because it can't create shortcuts/links.

i replaced it with thunar, quite succesfully, but pcmanfm starts up automatically and still manages the desktop (if i kill the pcmanfm process the desktop icons disappear)

searching around on that i'm not so sure if thunar is the right choice with lxde?

is it possible to get thunar managing the desktop (and tell lubuntu not to start pcmanfm anymore)?

thx,

daniel

daniel227

Back to top Go down

a better file manager for lubuntu? Empty Hello

Post  Paul Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 am

I'm not sure if this will help. I was looking for the exact same answer and so far this is all I could find. Do a google search "Thunar as default file manager in Lubuntu 11.10" click on the link from askubuntu.com I think you might be interested in the LXDE/XFCE Hybrid or a third way... sections of that page. I have not tried this method myself. I hope this will point you in the right direction if not I tried . First time I ever post a reply ever so if i did it right or wrong let me know thanks Smile

Paul

Back to top Go down

a better file manager for lubuntu? Empty Re: a better file manager for lubuntu?

Post  daniel227 Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:39 am

thanks a lot paul, that was exactly the kind of how-to i've been looking for (but you could have just posted the link?) -
anyhow i've changed to linux mint fluxbox, which i warmly recommend.

daniel227

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:19 am

You are so welcome Daniel glad I could help. I tried to put the link to that page in my reply, but because I am new to this site I am not allowed to for 7 days so that was the best I could do. I will check out linux mint with fluxbox since I am new to linux (trying to get away from greedy windows)and I have already tried mint with gnome and lxde (I am pjr75 in mint community forum) also ubuntu, kubuntu, lubuntu, salix, and zorin. (did not really care for salix because of network problems) just trying to find the one for me. so far lubuntu has been the best experience for me. thank you for the recommend I will let you know what I think till then Happy Computing Very Happy

Paul

Back to top Go down

Post  daniel227 Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:49 am

oh, i see.
i'm using old hardware (less than a gig of memory, some weird amd sempron processor that seems to have between 1.3 and 3 GHz) and linux mint fluxbox isadora LTS is ust perfect. Generally fluxbox or openbox window managers (or blackbox for MS windows) are very light on resources. usually just as customizable as any other OS these days, but mostly through text files. but at least for the main menu it's rather simple to edit. Like a Star @ heaven

daniel227

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down